This is the foundation to achieving successful esthetic and functional restorations. The diagnostic wax up is a very valuable tool that cannot be over emphasized when it comes to, communicating, case planning, and visualization of the changes to function and esthetics of future restorations for the dentist, technician and most importantly the patient. This is an effective means for the patient to visualize, understand and the acceptance of the proposed treatment plan.
Diagnostic wax up can be used as a template for the future restoration in the following ways…
- A tool to communicate with, with the dentist, technician and patient. Used as a visual aid to the patient to show what the final restoration might look like.
- A guide that assists with meeting predictable results and patient expectations.
- Assist the doctor in tooth preparation. Fabricate a preparation template guide made from either a clear plastic suck down material or a clear vinyl polysiloxane type impression material.
- Temporary (provisional) restoration
- A prototype made from acrylic or composite material.
- The diagnostic wax up can also serve in the fabrication of a surgical stint for implant placement.